Saturday 17 January 2009

Welcome - Blog Intro

Welcome to A Year In A Country Cottage. ©Copyright

This is a personal blog created to record a year living in a small stone cottage deep in the Scottish countryside. My family and I (husband and three teenage sons) have lived in this once derelict cottage, which used to be a shepherd's bothy, for almost twenty years now - and having moved here from the city – we love it. The views from the cottage are breathtaking, no matter the weather or the time of year. In the summertime, the garden produces flowers and vegetables. In the wintertime, we can be snowed in and it is important for us to be as self-sufficient as possible. As well as our teenagers, we keep four hens, Madonna, Kylie, Beyonce and Britney, and two West Highland doggies, Polly and Ruby.

My plan is to update this blog on the last day of every month.

As a keen cook, I'll tell you what's cooking on my Aga and I'll share with you my own exclusively developed recipes. I’ll talk about the weather, my hens, and my dogs, and note the progress of whatever I’m managing to grow in the garden. I'll include lots of photos and blog about all the joys and achievements, the trials and the tribulations, of living a country lifestyle.

So, if you’d like to drop in now and again, I’d be delighted - and even more so if you decided to leave a comment!
Janice

These photos are of the Nith valley on a bright day and also on a bitterly cold day, in January 2009, as viewed from the dirt-track outside our cottage and from the hillside behind it: First photo by Janice - the second photo taken by #3 son, while out sledging.





See you on the 31st January...?

Janice

NB All rights reserved. Extracts or photographs may not be reproduced in any form except with the permission of the author.

8 comments:

  1. I love the photographs - the countryside in which you live looks stunning.

    As something of a townie, I look forward to following the life of a family which doesn't live a stone's throw from Waitrose.

    Have fun with your blog, Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment. See you at the end of the month - I promise more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice - I'll be a regular visitor - I'd love to try that Haggis bake recipe - but my Sassenach husband just refuses to be tempted by the Chieftain o' the Puddin Race no matter how hard I try to bribe him. Maybe I'll just make it for myself - looks delicious.
    Looking forward to the next blog entry
    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gilly - see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the names of your hens, Janice - Kylie! Fab!
    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS D'you like my catchy username in the last comment? I've changed it now!
    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for popping by Gillian.
    Kylie is my favourite hen – but don’t tell that to Madonna, Britney, or Beyonce!

    ReplyDelete